JUN 13 2019 Joe Leslie
Deploying a relational SQL database hasn’t, historically speaking, been a quick and easy task. However, using Red Hat OpenShift that is no longer true. In fact, it’s gotten even easier in the newly released OpenShift 4, which includes its own integrated built-in application marketplace called OperatorHub.
In this blog, together we’ll walk through deploying the NuoDB container-native SQL database in OpenShift using the NuoDB Operator. Settle in, grab some popcorn or gummy fruit (or whatever snacks you like to watch a good movie with, because this is going to be fun). As a bonus, during the demonstration, we’ll also show other NuoDB superpowers, such as:
- How to scale out a NuoDB database to meet application transactional throughput requirements on demand.
- How to configure NuoDB to be continuously available—even in the event of common hardware, software, and network failures.
NUODB OPERATOR VIDEO SCREENSHOTS
NuoDB running in Red Hat OpenShift 4
NuoDB Insights visual monitor
WHY OPENSHIFT AND NUODB?
Today many organizations are enjoying reduced application deployment and ownership costs by deploying their applications in Red Hat OpenShift, either on-prem or in cloud computing environments. Often these applications are stateless and traditionally easier to migrate into a Kubernetes containerized deployment model. However, today NuoDB is making it easy for organizations to also enjoy further cost savings and increased ROI in their OpenShift investment by migrating or deploying their SQL applications in OpenShift as well.
WHY KUBERNETES OPERATORS?
There’s a lot of buzz around Kubernetes Operators today. If you’ve attended a recent KubeCon event or Red Hat Summit 2019, you know what I’m referring to. So why are so many software providers building Operators to deploy their solutions, and what makes Operators so awesome?!
I summarize it this way—Operators are a native Kubernetes feature that provide a greatly improved method for packaging, deploying, autoscaling, and managing Kubernetes applications. Operators are also easily controlled by Kubernetes tooling (that is, the Kubernetes API or the kubectl command). Operators offer many benefits over a manual deployment of yaml manifest files, including:
- They are highly accessible via Operator marketplaces (application service catalogs)—such as OpenShift 4 OperatorHub!
- They automate provisioning and operational tasks and do the correct thing every time. This makes them much less error prone than editing and running yaml manifest files manually or via scripts.
- They are tested, certified, and ready for your use. In order for vendors to publish their Operator to a marketplace application catalog, the Operator image must pass a series of tests and security scans. Therefore, you know you are pulling a secure image that has passed a “certification” test.
- They are portable across Kubernetes distributions. Software vendors can easily roll out their Operators and enhancements across the most popular Kubernetes distributions—build once, deploy many!
- They provide useful runtime information about the K8s application, which can help vendors better support your use of them.
Now that you love what Operators can do for us as much as I do, let’s use the NuoDB Operator to start a NuoDB container-native transactional SQL database, which is both ANSI SQL and ACID transactional compliant. (And in the spirit of recognizing the Cars Candy-O album, which is exactly 40 years ago today!) Let’s Go!
INSTALL THE NUODB OPERATOR
If you’d like to follow along “live” with the below video clip, the NuoDB Operator install instructions are available from our NuoDB Operator github repo. The NuoDB Operator can be easily installed in OpenShift v3.11 or from the OpenShift 4 OperatorHub marketplace (a fully integrated service catalog) built directly into OpenShift 4. The OperatorHub creates a seamless application install experience: in a single click it will deploy the NuoDB Operator from catalog to cluster in under a minute!
WATCH THE VIDEO
Or (if deploying without OperatorHub)
If you’ve completed your evaluation of our free NuoDB Community Edition and would like to evaluate NuoDB’s Enterprise Edition, which offers the ability to set up two or more Storage Managers, please contact us.
Let me know if you have any questions, and I hope you have as much fun using the NuoDB Operator as I do!
Sponsored by NuoDB